This site contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you make a purchase through those links. I only recommend brands I personally use and trust. Thanks for supporting Kitchen Kimberley!
Ever wake up and want to move to Alaska, or maybe, I don’t know…um…Antarctica?
Here in Texas, that’s a daily occurrence for me during the long, hot summer, ha! It is hot! How hot is it?
It’s so hot, the weathermen don’t really have to work on a forecast. All they have to do is repeatedly say ‘record breaking heat’ and ‘dangerous heat advisory’ and their job is done for July and August.
Goodness gracious! Instant Pot to the rescue!
The thought of preheating my oven (and in turn my kitchen!) doesn’t really sound appealing, so I am super thankful for my Instant Pot! It has saved dinner more than a few times this summer!
In case you haven’t purchased an Instant Pot yet…what are you waiting for?! It is a modern pressure cooker that is completely quiet, easy and safe to use. It comes with a little cookbook, and there are countless Instant Pot recipes online, and especially on the numerous ‘Instant Pot’ Facebook groups. If you want to know more about the Instant Pot, you can check out all the details by clicking on this pretty picture below!
It’s a thing of beauty…and I love, love, love it!
Lately I have been using my Instant Pot to cook most of our meals, and I recently created this scrumptious Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Burrito recipe…it’s a keeper! This recipe is a new family favorite, and everyone who has tried it, absolutely loves it! I am thrilled to share it with you!
Picture it now — meltingly tender chicken that’s perfectly seasoned, topped with cheese, wrapped in a soft flour tortillas, and then smothered in a scrumptious, creamy sauce that I eat with a spoon.
Wait…no I don’t. But I could, and you’ll want to. No judgement…it’s just that good!
While the Instant Pot is quickly and quietly working its magic on the chicken, I chop a fresh green salad and dinner is complete.
Clean up is a breeze, too, which is a bonus! The removable interior cooking pot goes right into the dishwasher!
The Instant Pot does an amazing job making meats juicy and tender meats, fluffy rice, creamy yogurt, and crunchy popcorn! There’s not much this glorious contraption can’t do!
Just try this recipe, and you’ll be hooked, I promise! Hope you enjoy every scrumptious bite!
Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (2 lb.) package Southwest Fajita seasoned chicken breasts (or any seasoned chicken breasts)
- 1 (16 oz.) bottle Herdez Salsa Verde, divided use
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 large (burrito sized) flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: Diced tomato, freshly chopped cilantro, diced red onion, diced jalapeno, as desired.
- CREAM SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Better than Bouillon chicken base (amazing flavor!)
- 4 ounces Herdez Salsa Verde (remaining from bottle)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Chicken Chile Verde:
- Heat oil or butter on ‘Saute’ setting until hot, then sauce yellow onion until translucent. Stir in chili powder, garlic powder, and ground cumin.
- Press “Cancel / Keep Warm” on Instant Pot, and add seasoned chicken breasts. Pour 12 ounces (reserve the rest for sauce) of the Herdez Salsa Verde over top of chicken, and secure the lid. Adjust to ‘Sealing’ on lid.
- Set IP for 12 minutes on manual HIHJ, then allow pressure to release naturally (NPR) for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the cream sauce.
- When chicken is done, carefully shred using 2 forks in the Instant Pot. To serve, place shredded chicken on a large tortilla, and top with a few tablespoons of shredded Pepper Jack cheese. Roll up burrito and smother with warm cream sauce, then enjoy every single bite!
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in all dry spices, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add milk, whisking frequently until thickened and smooth.
- Add sour cream, chicken base, and Salsa Verde; taste and season with salt and pepper. Keep sauce warm on low heat until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
Remember…cook, eat, smile, repeat!